by Mrs Chris Brennan, PDHPE Teacher & Rowing Co-ordinator
Our SGS rowers attended their last regatta for the season on the weekend, led by our 2020 Rowing Captains: Charlotte C and Grace S, with 2020 Boat Captain, Harry O.
The Central Districts Regatta is the regional Championships for the season and are held on the Manning River, Taree. Last year we attended this regatta but were literally blown away by the mini cyclone that hit us and blew the roof off the Manning clubhouse, as well as causing hundreds of thousands of dollars of damage across all the rowing clubs. Our rowers were very excited to be attending the regatta but also a bit apprehensive due to this experience last year.
We had trained hard in preparation for the two-day competition, both in the gym and on the water. Medals are given for first place only and the fact we won four events over the weekend was outstanding. SGS was represented by Edwina I, Charlotte C, Grace S, A Tydd and Bridie O in the girls plus Tim C, Harry O, Angus D, Michael D, Patrick M, Christian S and Joshua C in the boys.
Best results were :
- Women’s Seeded quad: Edwina, Grace, Charlotte and myself 1st place
- Men’s D double: Patrick and Michael 3rd
- Women’s Seeded double: Charlotte and Charlotte from Lake Macquarie 2nd
- Men’s Seeded Double: Tim and Harry 1st, in the fourth fastest time over the heats
- Women’s Under 15s double: Bridie and Mikayla from Manning 3rd
- Men’s Seeded double: Angus and Tim 2nd
- Women’s D Double: Edwina and Charlotte 1st with the 6tth fastest time out of 15 entries
- Women’s Under 15s quad: Bridie with three other girls from 3 other clubs 2nd
Two outstanding events included Tim and Harry racing against each other in a single scull event, where they pushed each other so hard that they finished on the line as one, and Grace rowing her best ever single race!
I was very proud of our young rowers on the weekend. For some it was only their second regatta due to the number of events that have been disbanded this season due to poor weather conditions. Their improvement in technique and racing over the weekend was great to see. Our more experienced rowers really stepped up and continue to improve and were great role models for the other students. We have a beautiful group of young students who row and train together. It has been a pleasure to coach them this season and the assistance given to me by their parents continues to be very special. Congratulations to all these rowers and I am looking forward to assisting you to improve your fitness, skills and technique through the continuing development of our rowing programme.