This was originally published back in 2020.
Check out newer items posted in Primary News or tagged: , , as the information may no longer be relevant or accurate.

By Louisa Bragg, eMarketing & Parent

eLearning Is just a way of delivering learning. We still have the same teachers caring, planning your lessons, connecting with you, knowing you all well enough to choose activities that will inspire you, help you to grow, reinforce your learning dispositions, work well in a home setting, be guided by parents, and stretch you just enough.

Earlier this week, following a challenging juggle of three children with different learning styles and needs, three different eLearning platforms, my own work (ironically compiling eLearning tips that day) and glorious rain dampening internet connections, my daughter Constance (Year 1) danced into our shared learning space (aka my converted office) with a revelation. She said, “Mum, this is the best day of my life. I love learning and it’s one of my top character strengths!”

I nearly fell off my chair in surprise. This followed a day where I felt like I was skating on ice and couldn’t quite stand up straight without bumping into something else (that I hadn’t foreseen) or slipping over and sliding to the end, on my hands and knees, rather than skating with style and grace.

Then, I thought it about it a little more and realised that this is no surprise. This is a child who is flourishing because she’s lucky enough to have been provided with all the right tools and she’s using the ones that work for her right now. Lucky Duck – all that work understanding character strengths, learning dispositions, explicit teaching of literacy and numeracy means she’s been doing a lot of paddling under the surface and still does, but she’s also gliding. She’s comfortable in her own skin and in her new kind of normal.

Her new kind of normal might be climbing into bed for stories with her grandmother Lib, who is staying with us for the foreseeable future. It might be taking the fit balls I thought would work well at the desk and tossing them around the lawn. It might be earning some pocket money, helping her to think of addition (and subtraction when spending!) in a different kind of way. It is and will be watching a video of her teachers giving her instructions, recording herself reading, drawing pictures for her friends and sending them in the mail or face timing friends to help her to connect with them. What a great opportunity to learn and grow through this new normal.