Building connections is important in building community. We are blessed to have casual teachers who are just as keen to build connections as our students who surround them. These teachers get to know our students by name and our students get to know these teachers well. The connections also help to build consistency. This means consistency with learning, routine and so much more.

“One big advantage of being casual at Scone Grammar School is that I get to know and teach every primary student at some stage during the year. I come to school knowing the students, knowing the school routine, the lesson plans and teachers’ expectations. Walking around the school or on the occasion I teach secondary students, I really enjoy reconnecting with many students whom I taught in primary.”, says Mrs Sally Archibald who has taught casually at Scone Grammar School for many years.

David Cummings, Secondary Mathematics Teacher has also really enjoyed making connections with students at Scone Grammar School. As he explains, “I teach students here – not just maths. Students are engaged in learning. I spend the full 45 minutes of each session teaching in my sessions at SGS. I don’t need to split my teaching time with behavior management. As teachers, this allows us to invest more in the students, because there is more time. Scone Grammar School (SGS) is one big family from P-12. There is a great sense of respect – for each other and from student to teacher. I have observed first hand, the positive effects this has on the community.”

We are looking for more casual teachers to join our SGS community. Please apply in confidence to Mr Paul Smart, Principal, by email to Mrs Sarah Ambry, PA to Principal – sambry@sgs.nsw.edu.au.